Tuesday 31 December 2013

Widgets

About coming back to work

Sarah, actor and totally into the 20s and 30s.
 Back in Austria I worked as a party-photographer. It's an amazing job and I'm really glad that I got it as it is everything but easy to make money as a photographer. Especially if you don't have a portfolio and no one knows you (as a photographer).

Even though I loved my job it had some backdraws. My working hours were at the same time when my friends went out partying. Sometimes I even met someone I knew, some people I even haven't seen in years! But I couldn't stay too long chatting with them since I had to work.




As a result of this I prefered to leave my camera at home in this spare nights when I actually went out partying and just enjoyed it not to walk around quickly, annoying people with asking them for a photo...or getting anoyed by people who want more and more photos of themselves. Or the worst: people who tell me that I took a bad picture of them when I just thought "Man, I can't change your f*** face....!"
Shane, an independent director.
Doesn't he look like Walter White from Breaking Bad?


So when I came to Sydney I got in touch with a group of people who are totally into cinematography, acting and movies. Most of them attending an event called KINO, where short movies from independent and hobby directors are shown once in a month. The next one will be at the 6th of January (Click here for the Facebook-Event) and I'm really looking forward to it as I've only heard good things about it so far!

Getting involved in this network I got an invitation to the premieres of two movies called 'Bucks party' and 'Hens night' which are crossover movies about a couples last night in freedom and what happend to them. It's a little bit like Hangover but less...well...let's say there are better films out there - which might be because the movies are actually still in Postproduction but renting a cinema was cheaper this time of the year so they showed the movie earlier than they should have...



To come back to why I talked about my work as a party-photographer; there was an aftershowparty and I somehow ended up with my camera there - on the one hand assisting the official photographer of the event with the lighting, holding a slave-flash in the right (and sometimes in the wrong) angle but also taking pictures with my own camera without flash (because mine stopped working back the other day for some reason). 
Susanne, actor


In the beginning of the party I wasn't quite certain if it was a good idea to bring my camera with me but in the end I really enjoyed it as it was less stressful because it was only for fun and not as a job. All of the pictures in this post were taken at the party.

I'm now gonna stay a little bit longer in Sydney than expected and I already got in touch with two bands to take pictures at their concert. If you wanna have a look at my previous concert pictures, check out my G+ Profile (Click) which I'm gonna use as main platform to publish pictures and build up my portfolio.
Or you can even follow me on G+ or 'circle' me ;-p

Is there anything you would like me to write about or take pictures of in Sydney? Just leave me a comment ;)

Have a happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I'd really like to see pictures of Sydney. What are the people like, how do the buildings look, what is the food and the atmosphere of every-day-live like?
    Show us what makes Sydney special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wish, I serve - the next entry is going to be very Sydney-specific, but I will focus more on that in the next days too :)
    Anything else someone would be interested in in particular?

    ReplyDelete